My Photo
Name:

Je veux être la fille avec la plupart de gâteau. Regardez-moi dans la glace.

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Madeline Glass. Make your own badge here.


12 August 2007

 

concept of love

Okay, I'm doing it.

But only to spread the love.

It seems like so many people I know have been tagged awarded with the Rockin' Girl Blogger thingie, including myself. I got to thinking, "this is kinda cool, but sort of pointless if I tag award people who've already gotten it, so I'm giving you linkage love to a few of the lady bloggers (not sexbloggers, actually) I read regularly and think rock.

In no particular alphabetical (by first name, duh) order:

1. Amy Güth, whose blog Bigmouth Indeed Strikes Again can at once have me making my sad, nodding, understanding Jewish mother face and then losing my beverage in a spray over my shoulder, makes the cut. You all know I heart the Güth. For the glasses, the verbage, the lipstick, the umlaut. Oh, and she's hilarious, and she loves Morrissey, and she's like, a novelist and stuff. Buy her book, Three Fallen Women, here.

2. Kelly Sue DeConnick. You might not have heard of Kelly Sue, but I stalk her regularly online and you should check out her blog, Girl Farts. She writes comics and adapts manga into English and she is super, super cute. Also, she has great style and posts photos of her house (drool) and things. She is also having a baby next month and I am desperately in love with her kid's nursery. Just saying. Kelly Sue's also pals with Nikol Lohr, the woman behind the website Disgruntled Housewife and the author of Naughty Needles Knitting: Sexy, Saucy Knits for the Bedroom and Beyond. If you buy that book, you can look at photos of Kelly Sue as a geisha and a knitted flogger-wielding dominatrix. Not to objectify the girl, but you know.

3. Lisa Goldman, of On The Face. I've been reading this blog since 2004, and Lisa (a Canadian journalist who immigrated to Israel) kind of blows my mind. She writes about the politics and complicated social, cultural and religious issues mucking up the Israeli-Palestinian situation. "On The Face" is the literal translation of "Al ha-Panim," which is Hebrew slang for "Totally fucked up." As in, "I got these really pretty tomatoes at the market, but when I got them home they were completely al ha-panim." But I like the double entendre, being that, on the surface, things can seem completely different than they really are. Her blog's been featured in lots of publications, she's damn smart, a good lefty and speaks Hebrew with nary an accent. Plus, she makes me think, which, while frightening to some, is usually a good thing.

4. Mimi Smartypants of Smartypants' Diary. I've never corresponded with Mimi. I'm sure she doesn't even know who I am. But if you've never read her diary, you should. Now. Even if you're not a parent (Mimi's daughter Nora is freaking hilarious), you will get off on the entries because they are witty, stream of conscious-type ramblings that, just when you think she's gone and lost her mind, come around for closure in the end. Also, she talks about parenting in a way I can totally relate to: not sanctimonious, not "omg, my kid is the most brilliant kid EVAH (which, of course, she is, but anyway), and totally supportive of parents' drinking rights.

So, there you go. There are more, but those are the ones who came off the top of my head at midnight Saturday while listening to my kids and their sleepover guests shrieking in the basement while playing Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox.


















1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That "On the Face" chick rocks to high heaven! Yes indeedy-do! I have worked with her, so I know.

She's as awesome in person as she is on paper, by the way. And when i say "paper", i mean "screen".

Oh fuck it, you know what i mean. *Smooch*

8/13/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home